In recent months and years, we’ve seen substantial issues with product recalls for peanuts, pistachios, and a variety of other food products consumed by humans. Lately, there has been a lot of activity focused on the recall of pet food due to salmonella. Read More…
For those pet food distributors with strong wholesale distribution software like Enterprise 21, they are well positioned to manage this difficult situation as efficiently as possible. When pet food is received by the distributor, the associated vendor lot numbers are recorded in the system as part of the inventory transactions. At each step in the process, when the product is moved, picked, packed, and shipped, the given products and associated lot numbers are recorded. Should the need arise, the complete scope of affected product can be identified through lot traceability – either forward traceability (when a vendor provides data about specific products and lots) or backward traceability (when a customer provides data about specific products and lots).
Likewise, having a comprehensive, well-defined, system-enabled recall management plan enables pet food distributors to manage the process efficiently with customers, vendors, and governmental agencies. This includes having documented and repeatable processes and procedures and associated data available to define the scope of and execute the product recall.
Beyond strong lot traceability and recall management capabilities, pet food distributors will also appreciate Enterprise 21’s functional strengths in managing:
• Multiple facilities for territory assignments and intra-company transfers,
• Customer segmentation for sales analysis and customer pricing methodologies,
• Pricing and promotions management by various units of measure, including rotation allowances and promotions with complex rule sets,
• Order management with manual, EDI, and Web-based entry methods, and efficient customer returns processing,
• Purchasing by managing vendors with multiple ship-from locations, vendor promotions and rebates, and vendor returns processing,
• Inventory management and warehouse management with shelf life management, stock rotation, and multiple picking methods to support pallets, layers, and eaches,
• Transportation management supporting route delivery plus common carrier shipping, and
• Accounts receivable and receipt of payment including processing checks from parent organizations to pay off multiple child invoices concurrently and integrated credit card processing.
Pet food distributors will derive tremendous benefits from strong distribution management systems like Enterprise 21, including efficient management of lot traceability and recall management, while simultaneously improving operational efficiency and customer service.
Tags: Lot Traceability, Recall Management, Wholesale Distribution Software